BARRY UNSWORTH (1930-2012) was an English writer known for his historical fiction. He was shortlisted for the Booker Prize three times, winning once for the 1992 novel SACRED HUNGER, his powerful account of the Atlantic slave trade that moves from Liverpool to West Africa, Florida and the West Indies.
Unsworth developed an interest in history and the continuities and trends of human behaviour, and the majority of his books feature diverse historical settings. His works are characterized by vivid prose and meticulous research. PASCALI'S ISLAND (1980), set during the last years of the Ottoman empire, was shortlisted for the Booker Prize for Fiction and was later adapted as a film starring Ben Kingsley. THE RAGE OF THE VULTURE (1982), develops a similar historical narrative through the story of a British spy in Constantinople. STONE VIRGIN (1985) interpolates the story of a contemporary restorer working on a Venetian Madonna with earlier related episodes set in the fourteenth and eighteenth centuries. SUGAR AND RUM (1988) was inspired by Unsworth's residency at Liverpool University and contrasts the city's contemporary problems with its prosperous heritage. His other work includes MORALITY PLAY (1995), a murder mystery set in the 14th century, and AFTER HANNIBAL (1996), a portrait of warring neighbours living in modern Umbria. LOSING NELSON (1999) is a portrait of a biographer with an obsessive interest in his subject. His novel THE RUBY IN HER NAVEL (2006), is set in the 12th century. His last novels were LAND OF MARVELS (2009) and THE QUALITY OF MERCY (2011), a sequel to SACRED HUNGER.
The following books are in ePUB format unless otherwise noted:
== NOVELS ==
* After Hannibal (Anchor, 2012)
* Hide, The (Norton, 1996) -- PDF
* Land of Marvels (Doubleday, 2009)
* Losing Nelson (Anchor, 2012)
* Mooncranker's Gift (Houghton Mifflin, 1974) -- PDF
* Morality Play (Anchor, 2011)
* Pascali's Island (Penguin, 1988) -- ePUB + PDF
* Quality of Mercy, The (Doubleday, 2011)
* Rage of the Vulture, The (Norton, 1985) -- PDF
* Ruby in Her Navel, The (Doubleday, 2006)
* Sacred Hunger (Anchor, 2012)
* Songs of the Kings (Doubleday, 2003)
* Stone Virgin (Windmill, 2012)
* Sugar and Rum (Penguin, 1990) -- PDF
== NON-FICTION ==
* Crete (National Geographic, 2004)
CONTACT ME: You can reach me with comments, requests, error reports, etc., at TPB's forum, SuprBay (you will need to register an account): http://pirates-forum.org/User-workerbee
PLEASE HELP TO SEED! If you like these books and want others to have access to them, please help to seed for as long as you can. The more you seed, the longer the torrent will live, and the easier it will be for me to upload new content. Thank you!